Friday, March 27, 2009

Gesundheit!

On the bus this morning, a woman sat across from me sneezing her poor little head off. No one was acknowledging her--so after her third sneeze I slid in there with a tiny little "bless you." She nodded and said "thank you."

I then sat back and thought about the little exchange that just took place. Isn't it totally weird? Why did I feel so compelled to "bless" this stranger? I mean, I'm pretty sure this woman is not coming down with the bubonic plague any time soon. Right?

But then I remembered my upbringing...

Growing up, my dad was always extremely offended if his sneeze was met with silence.

Dad: ACHOOO!
Me: [silence]
Sister: [silence]
Mom: [silence]

awkward silence....

Dad: WELL, GOD FORBID ANYONE SHOULD BLESS ME!

The moral of the story is, if you ever meet my dad and ignore his sneeze--you better not ask him for any favors.

18 comments:

Maxie said...

people here at work are bless you happy! it's like every little sneeze gets a HUGE bless you. Even if there are a bunch in a row. so annoying.

rachaelgking said...

Until I was 6 I thought it was "Bleshoo."

My Uncle made fun of me FOREVER when he figured out what I was saying.

Andrea said...

I sneeze so much that people at work have stopped blessing me. I guess I used them all up.

B said...

I stick to gesundheit. Always.

Lacey Bean said...

My fiance won't say bless you, so instead he says Chester. Or Swimmies. Yeah we're weird.

Sh. said...

I wish there was a different saying for it...because I'm not a fan of "blessing" anyone. Maybe I'll try "Chester" :)

Melissa Maris said...

Hahaha I think I'd like your dad.

I believe saying bless you is just good juju. Your goodness will totally come back atcha now.

Hillary said...

I work in an office of men so there is no blessing after sneezing. Instead, the guys rates the sneezes. For example: "that one sounded wet!" or "that was a loaded one!"
Yeah, allergy season is fun.

Drew Eisenbeis said...

I'm a gesundheit-er. I blessed someone one time and they said that they weren't religious. That ended that.

Anonymous said...

lol i do that to C all the time. if he doesn't bless me after i sneeze i make a big deal about it :)

Anonymous said...

according to milhouse, when you sneeze your soul shoots out your nose and when someone says 'bless you' it shoves it back in. makes sense to me!

Katelin said...

haha. i don't expect people to say bless you to me any more since i sneeze all the time, it's kind of ridiculous.

alyssa said...

I get sad if nobody says bless you, haha! I always remember to say it...even if the person is far away and I have to yell it :x

.jimaie.marie. said...

I'm like your dad...it SERIOUSLY bugs me when nobody says Bless You, Ive even gotten annoyed with my kids when they don't say Bless You to me when I sneeze in their presence LOL I can't help it! I need all the blessings I can get! ;D

Room 209 said...

I just found your blog...love it! :)
Anyway, I get extra annoyed if I am not "blessed" after I sneeze. I have been known to bless myself out loud occasionally. It's sad, but true.

Unknown said...

your dads reaction made me laugh like a crazy. I'm not sure why.

rambleicious said...

I always say "bless you" and I always feel silly (yet more polite) for saying it.

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's funny. I actually like it when people say "bless you" when I sneeze to.