Thursday, June 11, 2009

Small, Small World

To borrow one of Hillary's much loved words, the following story makes my head melty.

Two days ago I continued what has been a long search for a perfect elevated dog feeder for the future love of my life. (Veterinarians recommend elevated feeders because they help ease digestion problems.) Wanting to purchase something handmade rather than plastic junk from China, the first place I looked was Etsy, of course. There were a lot of really cute options, but I waited until I knew what color we would end up painting the new kitchen before ordering.

Anyhow, the following series of events may make your head explode--or melt, if you are Hillary. Proceed with caution.

On Tuesday morning I stumbled upon Merlin's Bark Products, the best elevated feeder shop on Etsy (in my humble opinion.)



I selected the model I wanted and was about to select the purchase option. That's when I noticed the seller operates from Pittsburgh. "OH! Maybe I can save on shipping and pick it up from the seller's house!" I thought to myself with much delight. I quickly sent the seller a message asking if we could arrange for me to pick up the feeder. Hours later I was still waiting for a response.

That's about the time my custom dog collar/leash set arrived. Probably more excited about this than the average person, I paraded the set around my office, squealing with delight. That's when one of my animal-loving coworkers overheard my greyhound adoption scheme. Extremely excited for me, she smiled her big grin as I gushed about my excitement for finally having my own dog.

After returning to my desk, I saw she sent me an e-mail:
"If you ever happen to be in the market for an elevated dog bowl holder--www.merlinsbarkproducts.etsy.com"

My jaw dropped. I ran to her office.

Me: "That's so crazy that you sent that link to me! I just contacted that shop this morning!"

Her: "Oh! That was you!?"

Oh my freaking gosh. My colleague 30 feet down the hall from me makes these dog feeders with her husband. Can the world be any smaller?

And in case you were wondering, she isn't charging me shipping. ;)

14 comments:

Cyndi said...

HCS! that is an amazing co-winky-dink. you (and the dog to be) are one lucky, er two lucky, couple a lucky people thingys.

Hillary said...

AHH! That is craziness. I think I would have actually peed my pants.

Sarah said...

hah that's pretty funny. those are really cute too. if i didn't already have one i'd totally order from them.

Pretty Unfamous said...

SUCH a small world! That's so cool!

Sarah said...

p.s. i just found this cute treat holder when i went searching on etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13124537&ref=sr_gallery_21&&ga_search_query=treat+container&ga_search_type=category&category=pets&ga_page=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

Katelin said...

haha that is awesome, so weird how small the world is sometimes.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Wow that's crazy!!

I think that an elevated feeder would make our dog eat even faster and she doesn't need to do that! :-) Very cute though!

Kyla Roma said...

That's *awesome*!! I love when you find out about people's internet lives =)

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

It's Kismet! Ooh, maybe that's what you should name the new dog!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy...and lucky too!

Jamie said...

How funny! I've been looking at this shop for awhile, they caught my attention because of their corgi! I want one for Edie.

Ask her if she'd like to do a giveaway with OHL Shops ;)

Kerri W. said...

Holy crap! That is seriously a melty-head moment, if ever I heard one. Crazy!

sarah marie p said...

Whoa! That is pretty dang insane! And super cool! Crazy internet/small world!

Sarah said...

that's nutty! I wanna get one for Frank but all of the ones I see are too tall hmmm