Friday, April 2, 2010

A few steps closer

Oh my gosh! I am just so excited right now. Things are falling exactly into place.

I met with the director of the program to which I applied and she told me that I'm in. It's not official yet, but I'm taking her word for it! :D

This afternoon I talked to my boss about the program and she shares my excitement. She said she will be as flexible with me as possible to help me complete the degree. (Classes start at 4:30 p.m., so with her blessing I can leave work 45 minutes early two days per week. That's a big deal!)

Want to know more? It is a master's of education degree--but I won't be a teacher. The degree will allow me work in the homes of very young children with autism--equipping the kids and their families with skills they need to confront day to day challenges. I'll also help them navigate the myriad of services available to them.

This is exactly the kind of work I've felt led to do for a few years. I'm so happy that I found a program so aligned with my interests. And the cherry on top is that through my benefits at work, I will only have to pay 10 percent of the tuition. A master's degree student-loan-free. Can you believe this? Ahhhh!

23 comments:

Ben said...

I am SO proud of you right now.

mags said...

WOW! That's so exciting! Congratulations!

westcoastsoul said...

Wow, that is so great about not having to get student loans!

Windsor Grace said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting and wonderful!

Her said...

That's incredible! I am so excited for you, and thrilled that you're chasing after the important stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetheart i am so pleased for you!

Suzanne said...

Congrats and good luck! Very exciting for you, and it sounds like a really wonderful career goal.

MsDarkstar said...

Congrats! It's always nice to see people following their dreams!

alyssa said...

That's awesome, congrats! My sister's boyfriends works with autistic children and goes to their homes almost every day to work with them and basically do whatever they need - it seems like a pretty neat deal!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds amazing! Congratulations!!!!

Becky said...

Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats darlin'

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations!!

yours truly, melissa said...

Amazing! Congrats on getting to do something you *want* to do. Very exciting!

ÄsK AliCë said...

So awesome! I love that your work is being so supportive, you'll do great!

Karen said...

That's wonderful Amanda!

Hillary said...

I am so SO happy for you, lady.
Kisses, OX.

Shannon Des Roches Rosa said...

As the parent of a child with autism, I have to say thank you for choosing this path.

Anonymous said...

So, so, so exciting! Congratulations!

ria said...

yay! congrats :)

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHH!!!! so proud! soooo sooo proud!!!!!

Deepa said...

Congrats! I hope your studies go very well, came across your blog and have really enjoyed it.

ablogofherown.wordpress.com said...

Yay!
I think my cousin (who is also a Pittsburgh resident) is entering the same program this fall. I think you'd like her, she's wanted to be a mermaid since she was four.....

www.partofyourword.tumblr.com